Maxstoke Castle, B46 2RD
Maxstoke Castle, which is 3 miles outside Coleshill in Warwickshire, is a fine example of a C14th moated and fortified manor house, commissioned by Sir William de Clinton; the licence to crenellate dates from February 1345.
The house, which is surrounded by four acres of mixed formal and informal gardens, has been in the continuous ownership of the Dilke (later Fetherston-Dilke) families for over 400 years.
The house is private and not open to the public but, once a year - usually in mid June - the house and gardens are opened (between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.) in support of local charities. Teas, plant and other stalls are provided.
2015 Open Day
Sunday 14 June 11am to 5pm
Admission charges will be £7.00 for adults, £4.50 for concessions. No dogs are permitted. It is unfortunately not practical to provide wheelchair access to the house.
By arrangement, Michael Fetherston-Dilke will also show round interested historical groups of up to 30 - for which a charge is made - generally during the spring and early summer months.